[tycho-dev] Circular Redirect in Eclipse Neon Site causes builds to Fail

Hi Tycho Developers,

I hit an issue today, and can’t find any answer in Google. I was going to raise a bug on Bugzilla but struggling to see if it exists already.

I have a project with a <repository> to Eclipse Neon simultaneous release. But it seems one of the mirrors recently went down which is causing Tycho to fail to resolve the url at the very start of the build:

[ERROR] Internal error: java.lang.RuntimeException: Failed to load p2 repository with ID 'eclipse' from location http://download.eclipse.org/releases/neon: Unable to read repository at http://download.eclipse.org/releases/neon. Unable to read repository at http://download.eclipse.org/releases/neon/201705151400/content.xml.xz. ClientProtocolException: Circular redirect to 'http://mirror.switch.ch/eclipse/releases/neon/201705151400/content.xml.xz' -> [Help 1]

org.apache.maven.InternalErrorException: Internal error: java.lang.RuntimeException: Failed to load p2 repository with ID 'eclipse' from location http://download.eclipse.org/releases/neon

    at org.eclipse.tycho.p2.target.TargetPlatformFactoryImpl.loadMetadataRepository (TargetPlatformFactoryImpl.java:302)

    at org.eclipse.tycho.p2.target.TargetPlatformFactoryImpl.gatherExternalInstallableUnits (TargetPlatformFactoryImpl.java:270)

    at org.eclipse.tycho.p2.target.TargetPlatformFactoryImpl.createTargetPlatform (TargetPlatformFactoryImpl.java:176)

    at org.eclipse.tycho.p2.target.TargetPlatformFactoryImpl.createTargetPlatform (TargetPlatformFactoryImpl.java:128)

    at org.eclipse.tycho.p2.target.TargetPlatformFactoryImpl.createTargetPlatform (TargetPlatformFactoryImpl.java:1)

    at org.eclipse.tycho.p2.manager.ReactorRepositoryManagerImpl.computePreliminaryTargetPlatform (ReactorRepositoryManagerImpl.java:84)

    at org.eclipse.tycho.p2.resolver.P2DependencyResolver.computePreliminaryTargetPlatform (P2DependencyResolver.java:223)

    at org.eclipse.tycho.core.resolver.DefaultTychoResolver.resolveProject (DefaultTychoResolver.java:109)

    at org.eclipse.tycho.core.maven.TychoMavenLifecycleParticipant.afterProjectsRead (TychoMavenLifecycleParticipant.java:95)

    at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.doExecute (DefaultMaven.java:264)

From the Eclipse Downloads page, I can see the mirror that it complains about is in the list:

https://www.eclipse.org/downloads/download.php?file=/releases/neon/&format=xml&protocol=http

<mirror url="http://mirror.switch.ch/eclipse/releases/neon/label="[Switzerland] SWITCHmirror (http)"/>

I am by no means a P2 expert, so my best guess is that this mirror recently went down or is somehow now redirecting back to eclipse.org. Tycho doesn’t appear to like its behavior. I tried both with and without -Dtycho.disableP2Mirrors=true and with Tycho 0.24.0 to 1.2.0, and multiple versions of Maven as well, all hit the same issue. If I lock down the <repository> to a specific mirror, such as http://ftp.ussg.iu.edu/eclipse/releases/neon, then everything works fine, so I am unblocked for now. I had been using the original URL a few months back without issue, but after pushing a change to the project recently I noticed this build failure.

Best Regards,

Daniel

Back to the top