Re: [trainers] Training Call Minutes - Jul. 29

Ian, I would like to know if this strong interest in Plug-in Development can be localized geographically?

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 10:36 PM, Ian Skerrett <ian.skerrett@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I think everyone agrees that an RCP course and Plugin Development course are
similar.  The comment came from the fact that in our survey people indicated
a plugin development course as being of higher interested than RCP.  The
thought was maybe we should be calling the course 'Plugin Development' and
not just RCP.

Ian

-----Original Message-----
From: Content-filter at foundation.eclipse.org
[mailto:postmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Ilya Shinkarenko
Sent: Thursday, July 30, 2009 4:34 PM
To: Trainers
Subject: Re: [trainers] Training Call Minutes - Jul. 29

Hi all,

I guess the "Plug-in development" course is for those developers who
do not need RCP knowledge (development of "business applications") but
deal with extending of Eclipse IDE products. They expect to learn
IDE-specific concepts as Workspace model, Resources, Markers,
Builders, Run/Debug, Editors, Annotations etc. I would also pay a lot
of attention to the "Eclipse UI Guidelines" in this course.

Maybe such training course can be called "Extending the Eclipse IDE",
this name is more specific and less confusing as "Plug-in
development".

Greetz
Ilya

2009/7/30 Heiko Seeberger <seeberger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> +1
> Plug-ins are an essential part of RCP.

What would be the difference? Plug-ins without SWT, JFace and Workbench? Har
d to imagine
> what the benefits might be ...
> Cheers
> Heiko
> 2009/7/30 Chris Aniszczyk <zx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>
>> 2009/7/30 Lynn Gayowski <lynn.gayowski@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>>>
>>> 4. Course topics for next series
>>>
>>> -There is interest in offering a plugin development course since it
>>> ranked first in the survey
>>>
>>> -Could try combining with RCP but as Ashvin recommended and other
>>> trainers agreed, people like to focus on one topic
>>>
>>> -Although content could be similar for an RCP course and Plugin course,
>>> they should remain separate classes
>>
>> What? The RCP course is essentially a plug-in development course. The
OSGi