[tracecompass-dev] Starting the trace server automatically

Hi, we have our extension hooked up so that when we open our custom trace file, it automatically starts the trace server. However we had an issue where if we click on the “Open with Trace Viewer” menu option contributed by vscode-trace-extension, the trace server will not be started, and we have to start the server manually. There are 2 solutions that I would like to propose to this problem:

  • Option 1: When clicking on this menu item, the vscode-trace-extension will also execute an unregistered command, with the file uri as argument. Our extension can register this command activate the server.
  • Option 2: We could implement the same server activation functionality on vscode-trace-extension, by adding a trace server path setting. When clicking on that option, the vscode-trace-extension will check if the server is running on url:port, if not, it will activate the server present in the path setting.

If you have any question, concern, suggestion about which of these solutions is implementable, please let me know. Thank you.

Regards,

Alex