Re: [tracecompass-dev] Setting up a build for new trace types
  • From: Bernd Hufmann <bernd.hufmann@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 17:55:33 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-CA, en-US
  • Arc-authentication-results: i=1; mx.microsoft.com 1; spf=pass smtp.mailfrom=ericsson.com; dmarc=pass action=none header.from=ericsson.com; dkim=pass header.d=ericsson.com; arc=none
  • Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=microsoft.com; s=arcselector9901; h=From:Date:Subject:Message-ID:Content-Type:MIME-Version:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-ChunkCount:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-0:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-1; bh=ZBbhDBHahhz03QfnV3N0ZzUTNqh0djquo4jJPVIvMYU=; b=DcyiSIudV9gU6gQrcm+7rJUCEkr4OqX+2MQsrf2wkIa9YwZxwhlJyg1na8N9cVLrr71IlMwf0YQMuOmSlmIMdCUiK5cetVJR1gfpIv+mrUP4gOG1cHhjRqBzCAPSGRGaCSvS5mgEAI2IknNhjL0jDvgVGUlyYsN9myCc3r5XYmWaWGUFhy/1ZFclx2wbdrcqmu78xabDDQ3SZGBEckBdgfMSmC3WX/LD39lRZWw5FAADEPdTl9w2BmG8FzEix1dcfbPNIhM98eGnp/uRRod/49+Dpv1EsC+TN1uNbGfOWtiBzfLbwhm/s9ne0MVwge4NitR82bkEPQF6wJoc1fNhtw==
  • Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; s=arcselector9901; d=microsoft.com; cv=none; b=TpZvMa94TPzj6OpccaSFg/TidseQSAA1KpfQceQYHKXjG2aEBTnPWczOOpF+w15bBo6lVQMw90JiKFt9zXl3A8EtA1mpeiAkJxUfq+L+zv3AypVglFOCHQFoJ3L/1mdlnA5r6b9Nxs3ocKUWq74Xze8QQxXkGNOnRzAurPM2CgivDzoLqNe9EyK3S6jFw8phBqJ4QaEO3iIFcamX+xvpmgnFbSABJbMTM1iZub5KFq4wz8i5n6ijALl5F/tCzY5a1oK3FwsOR368fQ0vSvMBaP/V1NiaVrIqcrkzS/QSt50JOCEOgdrUIwhR9xV9xLGiyMIruPtAI3Nps+bpVRGDYA==

Hi Neel,

thanks for the interest in Trace Compass.

Since you are implementing proprietary trace types / plugins etc., I suggest having a separate repository with all proprietary code that you keep at your company. A separate repository makes sure that you don't accidentally push the private plug-ins to open source (as opposed of having a local branch in the incubator repository with proprietary code).

Your private repository can be structured similarly to the incubator repository. Add your proprietary source code plug-ins / features there.

Then, you will need an updated target definition file, like the incubator' tracecompass-incubator-master.target which is in the directory "common/org.eclipse.tracecompass.incubator.target". In your target definition add the incubator dependencies:

<location includeAllPlatforms="false" includeConfigurePhase="false" includeMode="planner" includeSource="true" type="InstallableUnit">
<unit id="org.eclipse.tracecompass.incubator.trace.server.jersey.rest.core" version="0.0.0"/>
<repository location="https://download.eclipse.org/tracecompass.incubator/trace-server/rcp-repository/"/>
</location>

If you want to use some of the incubator features, then add the following with the relevant feature IDs.

<location includeAllPlatforms="false" includeConfigurePhase="false" includeMode="planner" includeSource="true" type="InstallableUnit">
    ***add features of incubator here that you need in the custom trace server***
<repository location="https://download.eclipse.org/tracecompass.incubator/master/repository"/>
</location>

You also need a custom "traceserver.product" file, similarily to the the incubator' "traceserver.product" file in the directory "trace-server/org.eclipse.tracecompass.incubator.trace.server.product". Update that file to include your custom plug-ins. Add/remove Trace Compass / plug-ins features as needed for your trace server.

Lastly, you will need to update all the pom.xml files accordingly to be able to build.

I hope this information will help you get started.

Best Regards
Bernd