[tracecompass-dev] Adding metadata to the commit message - Incubator

Hello all,

This is a long mail, but here's the jist of it:

TL;DR- let's add some fixed metadata to commit messages to autogenerate new and noteworthies.

Now for the actual meat.

We have an opportunity in the incubator. After 2 years, we have a crazy amount of features in it... This is proof that there's a need for it, Kudos to Genevieve on spearheading this initiative. Soon we will probably have more user facing features in the incubator than in trace compass! Now features are not necessarily 1-1 correlated to git commits, so I want to try something out in order to better trace features. That's right, we're gonna try to trace our processes too!

We basically need a changelog. However, I personally find maintaining yet another file to be difficult, also, it would add an extra burden on the feature developer. We already have great git habits, no patch has gotten in with a commit named "Fix" yet. :) What I propose is we add semantic tags on the ones defined by the keepachangelog.com site to our commit messages, not in the titles but rather in the body.

* [Added] for new features.
* [Changed] for changes in existing functionality.
* [Deprecated] for soon-to-be removed features.
* [Removed] for now removed features.
* [Fixed] for any bug fixes.
* [Security] in case of vulnerabilities.

What advantages does putting these tags in git give?

1- it's part of the commit reflex
2- we can make arbitrary N&N's between arbitrary commits
2a- our N&N's will no longer be bound to releases
2B- we can make a release at ANY commit. (Continuous Delivery?)

Questions and answers:

Q: What happens if we mess up?