[tracecompass-dev] Deprecating TimeGraphCombo

Hi,

For many reasons (mostly maintainability), I would like to deprecate the TimeGraphCombo which is a widget that combines a TreeViewer with a TimeGraphViewer and keeps them aligned.

In order to achieve this, the time graph viewer is being enhanced to support columns and a label provider. This maintains the functionality that was provided by the tree side of the time graph combo.

A patch is under review with the proposed changes to Trace Compass:

https://git.eclipse.org/r/84135

The changes are source compatible, with a few methods and the TimeGraphCombo class being deprecated.

All uses of the deprecated class have been replaced in the Trace Compass plug-ins and the change is mostly functionally compatible.

The exception is the deprecated method AbstractTimeGraphView.getTimeGraphCombo() which now returns null. Any subclass of this view (in plug-in extensions outside of Trace Compass) that explicitly accesses the time graph combo will need to be updated to use the time graph viewer instead, or otherwise encounter a NullPointerException. The updates are usually simple, for example refer to the modifications in CallStackView in the patch.

I would like to deprecate the time graph combo in the next minor release (2.3.0) so that it can be completely removed in 3.0.0. Note that so far we haven't committed yet to having a minor release in Neon.3.

Let us know if you have any concerns or objections. I can help anyone that needs advice for updating their code to use a time graph viewer instead of a time graph combo.

Best regards,
Patrick

Back to the top