[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[tptp-pmc] Questions about the TPTP Project in preperation of the upcoming PMC Call
- From: Torsten Stolpmann <stolpmann@xxxxxxxx>
- Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2011 13:30:09 +0100
- Delivered-to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Organization: verit Informationssysteme GmbH
- User-agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.2; en-US; rv:126.96.36.199) Gecko/20101207 Lightning/1.0b2.102ipre2 Thunderbird/3.1.7
Hi TPTP PMC,
to get an overview on the TPTP Project, we have started by looking at
the following documents:
Are there any more must-reads you would recommend?
In the following we are listing some points where we could not find
enough relevant information. These are not yet ordered by priority and
we aware that it will take some tiime to get through all of this. We
have not yet covered any technical questions, this will have to be done
in later iterations.
I hope this is a good basis for discussion at the PMC call tomorrow.
Thank you for helping us catch up with you here.
- Project History
- What part of the Hyades source tree is still relevant? Do you see a
potential to further the Hyades -> TPTP Migration or is this process
- TPTP 4.5(?) has been a turning point as suddenly a big amount of
open issues have been closed without fixing. What was the cause there?
- Team Structure/Responsibilities
The current structure is documented quite well in the Committer
Documentation. Is there historic data available?
- Who is who / Dramatis Personae
Can you give us a brief map on key committers, their main
responsibilities and main areas of interest in the project?
We identified the following companies participating in TPTP: IBM,
Intel, OC Systems, Scapa. Were there any more companies involved except
When (approx.) did Scapa and Intel left the project?
We will not be able to maintain the Trace sub-project nor will we be
able to revive the Monitoring or other As-is components without others
to join the project for this effort.
What would you suggest as the next step for the Trace project? Move
to AS-IS or Archive? We noticed from bugzilla that there are still users
sending patches and asking about shutdown/continuation of the project.
Would it make sense from your perspective to deprecate/remove
corresponding parts of the platform project as well to narrow the codebase?
- Development Infrastructure
- Proposed layout for checkout? We stumbled upon:
does this reflect all needed/distributed components?
- Proposed development environment (Eclipse version, recommended
- Do you use a previous version of TPTP to run the tests for the
- What infrastructure (Hardware/Software) is needed for non-Java
- Codebase structure
What is still in use - what is dead? Can we rely on above PSF?
- Coding guidelines
Are there any besides what
- Naming Conventions
What does the acronyn IWAT stand for? Is there a Catalog of IWAT
- Build Environment
How to do local(?), nightly, weekly, release builds?
Is there any infrastructure provided by the foundation for this we
Do we have to provide infrastructure for that? What would be needed?
- Issue Management
The Housekeeping process eliminated a lot of open issues, which may
or may not be relevant for future development to look at. What process
do you suggest to catch up here in a controlled way?
- Release Process
Is there a detailed step-by-step release process defined somewhere
(how to build, deploy, document)?
What parts are in line with the current implementation?
- Best Practices / Pitfalls / Things to Avoid
How do you people work on a daily basis?
- Is this based on the eclipse Phoenix project?
- Is there a map or guideline to what to find at what location?
- What is in use, what is outdated?
- How to announce build results?
- What is to be done to do a release?
- Is there a staging are available?
- Is there a defined publishing process?
- What pitfalls can we expect? Are there best practices?