Re: [tptp-monitoring-tools-dev] Problem with agents

So your base scenario is that you are starting and stopping Tomcat yourself, and you want to attach to it and collect some profiling data. ARM and other information is not in the core scenario. I looked at the referenced document which is IBM internal and it is purely about using ARM in that environment and not a general case.

I also understand that you have an agent controller on the machine that you are running Tomcat on. You seem to have this part set up since to can connect to it and just don't see the agents.

To make tomcat load the profiling agent libraries you need. Do this by following the instructions on this page. http://www.eclipse.org/tptp/home/downloads/installguide/agentcontroller_44/windows/getting_started.html
in the section titled "Using the Java Profiler with Java 1.5"
This will make the profiling agent you configure show up when you try to attach.

Let's see if you can get this far ;-)

Thanks for your time.
________________
Harm Sluiman,
IBM Distinguished Engineer
phone:905-413-4032   fax: 4920  cell: 1-647-300-4758
mailto:sluiman@xxxxxxxxxx
Admin : Queenie Lam qlam@xxxxxxxxxx  Tie: 969-5864 1-905-413-5864

Michael Drummond <mdrummon@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: tptp-monitoring-tools-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

10/25/2007 02:27 PM

Please respond to
TPTP Monitoring Tools Project developer discussions        <tptp-monitoring-tools-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

TPTP Monitoring Tools Project developer discussions <tptp-monitoring-tools-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
Re: [tptp-monitoring-tools-dev] Problem with agents

Hi, thank you for your response

I am using tptp 4.4.0.3, the newest version on the web site. I have tried 4.3 as well with the same results. i have no installed WTP into tptp, and i do not know what is managing out server as i did not write the server, i am only trying to profile it for performance numbers. changes i did make to the web server are documented in the link that i sent to you.

i believe that i intend to use the ARM tools not just profiling. I need to get execution time analysis or some other way of recording the length of transactions/functions run. Getting cpu utilization and other statistics would be helpful as well. I'm not attatched to any one specific way of accomplishing this, but i have gotten the "attach an agent" process to work in the past

thank you
mike drummond