Re: [tools-pmc] Release / Progress review for Eclipse GEF

Hi Jonah,

thx for the detailed feedback I'll try to address your comments below.

On Tue, 2023-09-05 at 11:31 -0400, Jonah Graham wrote:
> Hi Alois,
>
> Thank you for working to provide new and updated releases of GEF. It looks like lots of activity on GEF classic and all looking promising. Here are my comments on the review request.
>
> The only thing that prevents me doing a +1 right now is I don't understand the version number. 5.4.0 was released a while ago[1], but the release review for this new version says 5.4.0 too[2]. Is this version number an error, or are you not even releasing a GEF (non-classic) version. I assume that the 3.17.0 is the GEF classic version being released?

This is also one of our biggest concerns. As you noticed GEF is currently providing two different versions as part of SimRel: GEF 5 and GEF Classic. For the
upcoming 2023-09 this will be GEF 5.4.0 and GEF Classic 3.17.0. Matthias and I where not perfectly sure how to present that to our uses. The current proposal is
our attempt to show it. Any ideas how to best address this is greatly appreciated.

> Other items that should be cleaned up at some point, but don't stop the +1:
>
> - https://projects.eclipse.org/projects/tools.gef/developer links to bugzilla for bug tracker, but I see that you are also using github issues. Do you still want/accept new bug reports in bugzilla?

Thx for noting. I removed the Bugzilla entries as we are purely using Github for both of our repositories.

> - https://projects.eclipse.org/projects/tools.gef/who lists Matthias Wienand as the Project Lead. Is this correct? Is Matthias still active and leading the project, or would you be a more suitable project lead?

Yes this is correct. Although Matthias is not as active as developer anymore he supports us with his long term knowledge on GEF and especially GEF 5. My
knowledge is very limited to GEF Classic and therefore I don't think I would be a suitable project lead. More the first officer of GEF Classic.

> - https://projects.eclipse.org/projects/tools.gef/who lists many people who haven't made a commit in many years. Of course some committers may be active without providing commits, but at some point reviewing the list of committers is appropriate

This is definitely something we need to address. Currently our main goal is to keep the show running get the new committers, like me, on board.

> - https://projects.eclipse.org/projects/tools.gef/downloads lists a latest link for GEF classic, but the latest link is not to a release, but to a release candidate. That link[4] should probably not be updated until a release is completed

Yes you are right. Will have to look into the Jenkins jobs on how we do that.

> - https://projects.eclipse.org/projects/tools.gef/downloads has a link at the bottom for archived releases which redirects back to the PMI now (presumably because https://eclipse.org/gef was removed at some point)

This was outdated information of archives we are currently not able to produce. I removed them.

> - https://github.com/eclipse/gef-classic/releases lists a couple of older releases that don't appear on the PMI (3.16 and 3.15)

Yes this is also on my todo list. But I would like to clarify how we best add GEF Classic release to the PMI, as pointed out in my question above.

> Thanks Alois for working on GEF and please let me know if there is anything I and the rest of the PMC can do to support you here.

Thanks again,
Alois