Re: [tools-pmc] PMC Approval for Oomph 1.5.0

Alexander,

Comments below.

On 13.09.2016 11:33, Alexander Nyßen wrote:
Ed,

of course the lower bounds of a bundle’s requirements need to be properly maintained. And I agree that this is often not done. As I think it basically boils down to missing tooling, let me mention that I recently supervised a bachelor student who worked on extending PDE's API tools to add a check for this. Hopefully he will soon manage to get in a shape so it can be contributed to PDE.
Well, Oomph has its Version Builder tool, and we use that with Oomph (and I used it for EMF and XSD) to ensure that things do get incremented.  Optional checks include checking lower bounds match the actual version of the dependency.  All with quick fixes to fix the problems.

What I was wondering about is that the increase of a minimal required version was regarded as an externally visible change that needs to be reflected in a minor increment. I interpreted this differently so far and have only increased the micro in such a case, as from a consumers point of view the bundle is still compatible (assuming the increased minimal dependency is not reflected in its own API).
It's certainly subject to interpretation.  We use our Version Builder tool and it at least keeps everything consistent.  Perhaps we increment more than necessary, but that seems better than less than necessary.  At the start of each release train cycle, increments to the platform's root features have been overlooked.  Perhaps this year will be different.

Cheers,
Alexander