Re: [tools-pmc] [CQ 8763] libxml2 2.9.1 - as "works with" exception to full IP review

Thanks Elemér,

Sounds fine ... but, leads to one more question. Titan is intended for Linux only, then, right? (I just like being explicit, making sure I understand :)

Thanks,

From:        Elemér Lelik <elemer.lelik@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To:        "tools-pmc@xxxxxxxxxxx" <tools-pmc@xxxxxxxxxxx>,
Date:        10/03/2014 03:26 AM
Subject:        Re: [tools-pmc] [CQ 8763] libxml2 2.9.1 - as "works with" exception to full IP review
Sent by:        tools-pmc-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

Hi,

Titan consists of several binaries, some of them requiring the presence of libxml2  when being compiled, for instance the xsd to ttcn converter (xsd2ttcn);
Others, like the TTCN-3 compiler itself,  will require libxml2 only if the TTCN-3 code indicates that  XML processing is required, e.g. XML codec functions are to be generated .

So if libxml2 is not present, Titan will be partially disabled, but  XML–unrelated parts will still work.

Libxml2 is part of the major Linux distributions  directly or through repositories. Typically it’s present by default.

Hope this answers your questions

BR
Elemer

1) How often is "XML processing" required? What if the user can not do that "XML processing". Does that "block" use of Titan? Or does it provide a "nice to have" function like validating an XML is well formed, before runtime?

2) Why not have it IP reviewed, and distribute it, and install it, if not already installed?