From: David M Williams <david_williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thursday, 18 July, 2013 9:09 PM
Subject: Re: [tools-pmc] IDE

Doug,

While I'm sympathetic to your concerns and goals, I am not in a position to sign-up for more work, at this point.

But, I have just enough time to offer some feedback :)

First, I'm not sure what you'd expect this or any other "PMC" to do that is not already being done, or could be done, by any PMC. By definition in the EDP,
= = =
Together the PMC provides oversight and overall leadership for the projects that fall under their top-level project. The PMC as a whole, and the PMC Leads in particular, are ultimately responsible for ensuring that the Eclipse Development Process is understood and followed by their projects. The PMC is additionally responsible for maintaining the top-level project's charter.
= = =

While there's nothing stopping a PMC from "doing extra" or focusing their leadership in one area,  I see little advantage of calling it or focusing on "PMC" part of any name. For example, why not rekindle the "User_Interface" group and form a true "cross-project team"?
http://wiki.eclipse.org/User_Interface_Best_Practices_Working_Group

Put another way, it is committers that decide what to work on, and a PMC has no "power" direct their work, other than to encourage and cajole.
While effective leaders are quite good at encouraging and cajoling ... to get results ... I'm not sure the "location" of those leaders matter that much, at the Eclipse Foundation.

If you are hoping to get or show interest by a "name change", you could form new "working group" and call it the "IDE Usability Group", or something.

And, if you do that, in the past, when we have had "cross-project teams", the most successful ones, I have seen, had a very specific set of goals to accomplish, and a very concrete time-line in which to accomplish them ... such as 1 month, or 3 months ... they were not open ended expert consulting or management teams.

My last bit of feedback: how is proposing a new IDE PMC not a "put down" of the Eclipse Project PMC? I think I know the answer, and I think I know what you mean and think I know why it is not a criticism of them, but in any descriptions or proposals you might want to make that more clear ... well ... unless that is what you are trying to do. :)

Thanks for trying to turn our slow moving ship!