Re: [tools-pmc] Adding a committer for releng tasks ?

Thanks for the advice, you are raising some very valid points.

In our monthly meetings we’re committers from 3 companies, and we agreed that adding releng expertise would benefit the project. We also agreed that voting for a committer without public track record should be a one-off exception, but justified in this case since proving releng capacity while not being on the project is much harder than contributing a code patch – and the case was urgent in light of the required move from CVS to git.

We would monitor his contributions and be ready to “de-committerize” quickly in case he were found disruptive (according to tools PMC charter: “A Committer that is disruptive […] may have his or her commit status removed by the PMC.”) We didn’t discuss the concrete circumstances and hope this won’t happen, but codifying a single committer’s “-1” for such a case might make sense. When Jose’s contributions are good, we’d consider the public track record to be evident after the fact.

With CBI making builds easy to reproduce anywhere, I believe that moving forward releng tasks won’t fall in a different category than code patches any more. But with the legacy builds we still have in place for old streams this is unfortunately still the case. Most of Jose’s work will be migrating these legacy builds to CBI in order to support git.

Summing up,

-          This should not become precedent

-          Committer diversity on the project is important for this to be acceptable

-          We discussed it on phone and came up with a mitigation plan (just in case)

-          It will be less of an issue in the future.

Thanks for your support in this case.

Thanks,

Martin

--

Martin Oberhuber, SMTS / Product Architect – Development Tools, Wind River

direct +43.662.457915.85  fax +43.662.457915.6