Re: [tools-dev] vim ole integration

>apologies if this is not the correct mailing list for asking about
eclipse's ole integration wrt vim. pls point me to the >right one if that
is so.

You will get a faster response if you post this sort of question to the
newsgroup eclipse.tools.

>i was wondering if anyone could verify that there is no ole support for
vim within eclipse. i can get vim to startup as a >separate application to
open a file. but i cannot get it to run as an ole client within eclipse.
can anyone shed more light >on this? i realize that the ole version of vim
listed on it's homepage seems to be geared towards visual studio so i would
>imagine that for real ole support, eclipse would also have to contain ole
embedding logic.

I have not tried to embed vim but SWT does provide containers for embedding
OLE and Active X controls. See the following document:
http://www.eclipse.org/articles/Article-ActiveX%20Support%20in%20SWT/ActiveX%20Support%20in%20SWT.html

If vim provides a full OLE Document and registers it properly in the
Windows registry, then you should be able to access it without any code
via:

1) Go to Window -> Preferences -> Workbench -> File Associations
2) Add a new extension using the Add button beside the File Types list.
3) Select the extension in the File Types list  and click on the Add button
beside the Associated Editors list.
4) Select "External Programs".  If vim is a properly registered OLE
Document, it will appear in this list.  Select itand click OK.

If vim only provides Active X control access, you wil need to wrap it in an
OleControlSite and provide toolbar and menu actions to interact with it.
This is described in the Active X article.

Back to the top