Re: [tools-dev] Python support?

John Duimovich wrote:

> Well, actually, the Python, Perl and Ruby "project" was under a
> section titled "Proposal Ideas". The Eclipse Tools PMC was hoping to
> host a scripting language IDE project but a concrete proposal has not
> yet been presented.
>
> If you would like to start a project like this, I would be interested
> in talking to you.

Hum... sounds like a bit of a tall order. And I'm already coordinating
an other OpenSource project called VoiceCode:

   http://voicecode.iit.nrc.ca/VoiceCode/

I'd be more interested in writing stuff on an as needed basis. Right now
I use the text editor to edit python files, but I find the two most
annoying things are:

a) no automatic indentation
b) no multi-file search and replace

Point a) is important because in Python, indentation is meaningful for
the interpreter.

Point b) is important because the object browser in Eclipse doesn't do
Python. So in order to change a class or method name, I have to open
each file that refers to it and do a search and replace there.

If I had those two functionalities, I would pretty much be in a
situation comparable to what I have now (I use Emacs), except that I
would inherit lots of nice things from Eclipse (e.g. integrated editing
and CVS environments).

If you or someone else is willing to coach me into doing those two tasks
(and possibly more), I'm more than happy to contribute code to Eclipse.

Alain Désilets

Back to the top