Re: [tm-dev] Heads Up: API Addition for RSE contributed through https://git.eclipse.org/r/#/c/48427/1

I think the patch is fine without the API change, and I’m happy to hold off on the log until Tuesday (Monday is Memorial Day here). The API change is going to cause a lot of work, so unless someone signs up for that, I don’t think its feasible.

Greg

On May 22, 2015, at 10:51 AM, Oberhuber, Martin <Martin.Oberhuber@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Greg,

Since our company doesn’t use RSE anymore at all, I also cannot invest much time in this.
I also agree with your concerns on the API addition.

But Teo is very responsive, and the risk of the change is small since it’s only enabled when the extra property is set.
Could you perhaps hold off on the IP log submission a little bit.
In case Teo manages getting away without API change, there might be a chance getting this in.

Does that sound fair ?

Thanks,
Martin
--
Martin Oberhuber, SMTS / Product Owner – Development Tools, Wind River
direct +43.662.457915.85  fax +43.662.457915.6

From: Greg Watson [mailto:g.watson@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, May 22, 2015 4:13 PM
To: Oberhuber, Martin
Cc: TM project developer discussions; teodor.madan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; Rob Stryker (rob.stryker@xxxxxxxxx); manderse@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Heads Up: API Addition for RSE contributed through https://git.eclipse.org/r/#/c/48427/1

I would say this is very problematic. An API addition will require a minor version increment to RSE and all the features. It should also be announced and have time for downstream adopters to comment or identify issues, particularly since RSE is in maintenance mode for this release. The contributors would also need to be included in the IP log which I will be submitting this morning, so you’ll need to consult with Eclipse Legal on how to deal with this after the log has been submitted. I don’t have any time to address any release engineering issues, so the change should also include everything that needs to happen in that respect. Someone will also need to evaluate, test, and approve the changes.

Are you or one of the other committers willing to take all this on?

Greg