RE: [tigerstripe-dev] Comments on latest Annotation Implementation

Title: Re: [tigerstripe-dev] Comments on latest Annotation Implementation
See below.

From: Eric Dillon (erdillon)
Sent: Thursday, May 29, 2008 2:46 PM
To: Tigerstripe developers list; Steve Jerman (stjerman)
Subject: Re: [tigerstripe-dev] Comments on latest Annotation Implementation

Thanks much Steve for being the guinea-pig...

More comments inline.

Eric

On 5/29/08 1:44 PM, "Steve Jerman (stjerman)" <stjerman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

So I have been playing with the latest Annotation stuff and it seems a fair amount more useable. Here are some comments:

For Eric/John:

1)  John's TS integration is using the deprecated model classes. Should we change to use the new stuff (I used the non deprecated version in my annotation plug-in and was somewhat puzzled when it did work.
ED> this is actually documented on the WIKI :-) (see http://wiki.eclipse.org/Tigerstripe_On-Going#EMF-based_Metamodel_.26_Migration ). The package is marked a deprecated to avoid setting false expectations, but the new package is far from operational (IT IS THE EMF migration!). I don’t expect this to work until a few more months (this is already very optimistic!).

3) Can we add the Annotation Property view to the default Tigerstripe perspective.
ED> Committed that a few minutes ago.

4) It is a pain not being able to use the  EMF Java objects directly in the plug-in model classes. Can some form of helper be added to simplify this.. at present the only way is to create a Jar of the annotation plug-in and directly add it to the plug-in project.
ED> I am aware of the problem, but the fix is a little more involved than a helper I’m afraid. We want to pull into the Generator classloader the proper content. The Classloader is built-up on the fly when you run a generation. One option is to simply put the classpath of all the plugins that have registered a Annotation type. I’ve raised 234733 to track that.

SJ> One half way house would be to treat it as an EOBject and use the eGet mechanism.

For Yuri/Andrey

2)  The annotation view should really be treated as a debug tool. It would be good to be able to delete specific annotations from the annotation property view. (right click on one..).. so

3) I *need* to be able to multiple line strings as properties on an annotation. There seems to be currently no way to do this. Even if we can't define 'custom' annotation editors soon can we have a means of creating multiple line strings.
ED> it was my understanding that this was in place (see 230916). However, I think this highlights that documentation is very scarce and is dramatically missing. Andrey/Yuri, let’s talk about this on the phone directly?

5) If no annotation is defined for an element, it would be good to be able to create one from the annotation property view.

So rather than 'properties not available', show the annotation view without an annotations defined and then allow a user to add. Maybe it would be good to have add/delete buttons at the top of the view?
ED> So, you’re saying display all possible annotations, even if they don’t exist? Maybe in a grey-ed out color of something to avoid confusion?

6) The above view should only appear if you can't define annotations on the selected object...