Re: [technology-pmc] [m2e-dev] Version/Release/Compatibility Policy

On Wed, Aug 31, 2022 at 7:50 PM Gunnar Wagenknecht <gunnar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The M2E `/latest` update site got broken because it suddenly depends non *none official*, *none released* artifacts of other Eclipse projects.

That's indeed a kind of glitch in the process.
m2e doesn't use milestones repositories as they're usually not so useful. Here those would have been useful, as the goal was to be able to contribute a m2e release that had colored console for upcoming SimRel. So as m2e has only releases and not milestones, and we don't want snapshots in SimRel, as a consequence the release took place a bit too early after the dependency chain leading to this temporary inconsistent case.
However, the release is built on frozen APIs, so the versioning still technically correct. The only issue is that people cannot get the latest release immediately before they upgrade Platform, but as long as older releases are still available, it's easily manageable.

> My recommendation is to implement something similar for M2E.

I may be wrong, but I believe none of the current committers is interested in spending significant effort this for such N-2 Platform release compatibility. But contributions are welcome (as long as they don't have as side effect to reduce capacity to innovate or to reduce technical/functional quality).