Re: [technology-pmc] Release review documentation for Code Recommenders 2.3.0

Hi Gunnar,

>> - A colleague and I performed some sponsored development for one of Code
>> Recommenders' commercial users. I have indicated this in the review
>> materials. If this is not appropriate, please say so.
>
> This requires EMO input. There could be a conflict with some vendor neutrality rules.
>
> Once EMO has commented, plus +1 for release.

Thanks. A bit more background for you and the EMO.

In early November we (Codetrails, where most committers on Code
Recommenders work) were approached by a developer from a company (Alte
Oldenburger, a German insurance company) asking whether Code
Recommenders had plans to make Snipmatch available for languages other
than Java. We told him we didn't, as Code Recommenders is primarily
focused on Java and achieving the same level of integration we have with
JDT at the moment for X other languages would have stretched our
resources too much.

Said developer convinced us that this level of integration wasn't
necessary for Snipmatch to be useful; just the ability to share hundreds
of snippets with your colleagues using EGit is a huge win already -- if
only Snipmatch's basic functionality (searching and inserting snippets,
sharing over Git) would work with arbitrary text editors.

He had a look at the code himself, but judged it to be too
time-consuming to do on his own. Instead, he convinced his boss to
sponsor some development resources at Codetrails. That's how the
sponsorship came to be.

If mentioning this sponsorship in the release review materials violates
some guideline, I will of course change them as necessary, but I
couldn't find a clear statement on sponsored development in the project
handbook [1].

Best wishes,

Andreas

[1] <http://www.eclipse.org/projects/handbook/>