Re: [technology-pmc] Open Source Adapter for Closed Source Software

> From: "Konstantin Komissarchik" <konstantin.komissarchik@xxxxxxxxxx>
> To: "'Technology PMC'" <technology-pmc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: 07/08/2014 11:56 AM
> Subject: Re: [technology-pmc] Open Source Adapter for Closed Source Software
> Sent by: technology-pmc-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
>
> +1 on the “works with dependency” if that’s what the project team really
> wants to do, but a word of caution…

> While it may seem attractive to include as many adapters as possible in the
> project, it will create logistical issues as external products the adapters
> are for have their own release cycles and you will not be able to release an
> updated version of the adapter without releasing the whole project. Per
> Eclipse Development Process, you can’t do a release on a single component,
> you have to do a release on the whole project. Once you’ve accumulated a lot
> of such adapters in the project, you are faced with the choice of either
> being late in updating adapters and stick with product development schedule
> that makes sense for the core project or be ready to do very frequent
> releases to align with various product launches and revisions.

> For this reasons, many Eclipse projects are moving away from hosting
> adapters internally, even where these adapters are open source. In addition
> to GitHub, another alternative to consider is a sub-project under Lyo per
> adapter. That will allow the adapter to have its own release schedule and
> its own committer team, but you will have to go through the standard project
> creation process.

Thanks Konstantin, this is valuable information.  This process point doesn't seem to completely make sense to me, though I guess perhaps this is the case where our project isn't a tradition Eclipse IDE contributing project but seems like there are more and more projects like Lyo hosted at Eclipse.  Since we were considering having these adapters as a separate component, perhaps just a single separate "adapters" sub-project could make sense as well.  Then in the future, if it becomes a problem we can create additional sub-projects.  I suppose it is possible to restructure Lyo and sub projects at some point (thinking about Mylyn history).

Thanks,
Steve Speicher
IBM Rational Software
OSLC - Lifecycle integration inspired by the web ->
http://open-services.net

http://www.nomagic.com/

https://www.eclipse.org/org/documents/