Hi Wayne, Gunnar, Chris and other
Technology P M C members,
Thanks for your votes. Let me explain
issue for you, so maybe there is a chance of publishing
1.0 release (project
graduation) before or together with Juno. When we passed
the initial legal
review the following point was indentified as a blocker
The Subversive project consists of:
- Subversive module (distributed from
- SVN library connectors JavaHL and
(distributed from external location)
SVNKit is EPL-incompatible. JavaHL
library that is EPL-incompatible, so JavaHL was declared
Of course, without SVN libraries Subversive can't work
with SVN repositories,
so both SVNKit and JavaHL were declared as "works with"
that should be distributed from an external location. Few
years ago when we
discussed Subversive plans with M ike , Bjorn and the
legal team the
verdict was - "the project can't be graduated (and
included into Eclipse
distribution)" until legal issues will be resolved.
Please consider this again. Can we
request the project
graduation and 1.0 release now instead of releasing 0.8
version? What do you
+1 on engaging with a 0.8 release now, followed by a
1.0/graduation with Juno.
I am not aware of any restriction against Subversive
graduating with works-with
dependencies on SVN implementations. Perhaps there has
been a miscommunication.
Can you point me to discussion of this?
We have several projects that release with with minor
versions > 9. EGit and
JGit are examples. The project summary pages sort releases
lexigraphically--so sorting there isn't a p rob lem.
If you're changing APIs, or adding significant new
functionality, you have to
do a proper release with (at least) an increased minor
On 04/19/2012 12:45 P M , Igor
Hello P M C
The Subversive project team would
like to request a
project release review according with Eclipse
guidelines. We are looking for
your suggestions regarding the release and your approval
documentation to E M O. We plan to
include the new release to the Juno Simultaneous
Let me share with you reasons why we
decided to make
the release now:
1. We need to change Subversive
because the project need to provide support of SVN 1.7.
We need to create the
new version with the new API.
2. We simply out of version numbers.
release was 0.7.9 and from our previous experience the
update component doesn't
work correctly when the release number, i.e. 0.7.10 in
our case, is
"lower" from strings comparation point of view. M aybe
it isn't the case, not, but it's better to
avoid such kind of p rob lems.
3. This release was planned a long
time ago. SVN team
planned to replace EPL-incompatible libraries in the SVN
1.7 release, that
should make all Subversive components EPL-compatible, so
we expected to make a
project graduation and release version 1.0 once SVN 1.7
become available. But
SVN team decided to postpone libraries replacement to
version 1.8 and we have
to wait again.
Also the project is on Eclipse for a
long time and it
can be really considered as "mature". The only p rob lem
that prevents the graduation is Subversive's
dependency on non-EPL compatible libraries. The EPL
compatibility issue was discussed
few years ago and I'm wondering maybe something was
changed recently and it's
not a p rob lem for project's
graduation anymore. I would like to ask your
recommendation - should we make a
new release as 0.8 and keep the project in incubation or
can be able to
graduate the project and make 1.0 release?
If someone requires details about
issue I will be glad to explain it as well as other
technology-pmc mailing list
The Eclipse Foundation