[technology-pmc] Subversive release review request

Hello PMC Team,

The Subversive project team would like to request a project release review according with Eclipse guidelines. We are looking for your suggestions regarding the release and your approval to submit documentation to EMO. We plan to include the new release to the Juno Simultaneous release.

Let me share with you reasons why we decided to make the release now:

1. We need to change Subversive integration API, because the project need to provide support of SVN 1.7. We need to create the new version with the new API.

2. We simply out of version numbers. The latest release was 0.7.9 and from our previous experience the update component doesn't work correctly when the release number, i.e. 0.7.10 in our case, is "lower" from strings comparation point of view. Maybe it isn't the case, not, but it's better to avoid such kind of problems.

3. This release was planned a long time ago. SVN team planned to replace EPL-incompatible libraries in the SVN 1.7 release, that should make all Subversive components EPL-compatible, so we expected to make a project graduation and release version 1.0 once SVN 1.7 become available. But SVN team decided to postpone libraries replacement to version 1.8 and we have to wait again.

Also the project is on Eclipse for a long time and it can be really considered as "mature". The only problem that prevents the graduation is Subversive's dependency on non-EPL compatible libraries. The EPL compatibility issue was discussed few years ago and I'm wondering maybe something was changed recently and it's not a problem for project's graduation anymore. I would like to ask your recommendation - should we make a new release as 0.8 and keep the project in incubation or can be able to graduate the project and make 1.0 release?

If someone requires details about EPL-compatibility issue I will be glad to explain it as well as other topics regarding Subversive.

Best regards,

Igor Vinnykov

Subversive Team

Back to the top