Re: [technology-pmc] Request from Koneki LDT to join Juno release train

I think we're in good shape. Let's give the rest of the PMC a day or so to provide explicit- or lazy-consensus and I'll take it to the Planning Council.

Some responses in line.

Wayne

On 02/16/2012 03:03 PM, Benjamin Cabé wrote:
Hi Wayne, and thanks so much for the detailed answer!
Let me try to clarify the points raised:

>  Note that the CQ submission deadline has passed, so no additional third-party libraries can be added until post-Juno.

I opened CQs 6240, 6241 and 6242 on Feb, 8th which I understand is after the deadline. We would however really need these CQs to be approved for the release to be worth the potential burden of joining the train this late. As I mentioned in the CQs, I'd be more than happy to help contacting the authors of these libs if that can ease the work of the IP team.
If you got them in by the deadline, you're in good shape. I just wanted to make sure that you were aware of the deadline (I'm not certain that everybody got the message about the deadline).

> I can't find a CQ for org.apache.xerces_2.9.0.*.jar. Do you know how that wound up in the project downloads [1]?

It is not a dependency of LDT, but of the OMA-DM simulator. Just to be clear: we would like to have a Koneki 0.8 release by the end of June, but only LDT would be part of the aggregated repo.
I don't think there's any CQ needed for Xerces, though, since it actually is a transitive dependency of org.eclipse.wst.xml.core which the simulator itself depends on. It is part of the Koneki download area because we produce self-sufficient p2 repos for the components (LDT and the OMA-DM simulator) that we propose on the MarketPlace (I have noticed much fewer install errors —see [5] — since I have started doing that)
The Web Tools bundle namespace is a little messed up which makes it difficult for the download scanner tool to accurately sort out the product that owns a particular bundle. But, with some digging, it turns out that the bundle is owned by webtools.sourceediting which has CQ 1148. You're right that you do not need a CQ in case since project code does not directly access the third-party library in question.

> I think that the patch on Bug 369759 [2] needs to be flagged as iplog+ (more help here [3]).

I have been confused by a previous patch from the same contributor that I committed keeping the author name intact, and which I also flagged iplog+. This patch then ended being listed twice in the iplog, so I then removed the iplog+ for it … Thus for 369759 I thought I shouldn't flag the patch; but for some reason the git commit hasn't been detected by the iplog tool (bug 370157 maybe?).
Anyway, in the meantime, I have iplogged+ the patch on bug 369759.
I think I've fixed that. Thanks for the extra data point.

> You need to specify at least one release in the project metadata [4]; note that project plans are version specific and that you should include a link to the version-specific plan with the release information.

Done. Release 0.8 has been set in the portal, pointing to a version-specific project plan url.

> I'd like to see increased project diversity, but that's something that comes with time. Having the project on the release train will help in that regard. What sorts of things is the project doing to increase diversity and grow community?

Increasing diversity is actually one of the main reasons  we are requesting to join the train.
We are actively communicating about the project in the Lua community, and the feedback so far is very positive ; see [6], for example. This recent blog post [7] also had a huge impact on project adoption. We are reaching to other projects (Corona SDK, VLC, and even the World of Warcraft add-on developers community ;-)) via forums, blogs, twitter, … to work more closely with them to provide tooling appropriate to their needs.
In terms of contributions, we already had several feature requests, bug reports, and a couple of patches already.
Last but not least, Koneki is not solely composed of LDT –even though this is the most mature component–, and the M2M tools that are being developed, or will be, are discussed in the context of the M2M Industry Working Group which gathers many different parties.

> The code base looks pretty mature. When do you intend to graduate?

As you said, we need more diversity first. I am pretty confident that we should have a couple new committers on LDT pretty soon though. Also, there are some features that in our opinion are pretty mandatory to leave incubation (e.g. support for Lua interpreters). The idea would be either to graduate whenever LDT will be sort of feature-complete and the other M2M tools are stable enough ; or –and that may actually be my preference– whenever we have a working end-to-end M2M toolchain, leveraging the M2M metamodel defined together with the IWG. In this case that would be a graduation combined with a 1.0 release.

> Are members from the project participating in the cross-project mailing list?

Yes, I am already. I will ask another committer to join as well.

I hope you don't feel too bored at the end of what looks like a pretty verbose e-mail :)
I'm sorry, what? I drifted off.
I am looking forward to hearing back from you regarding the next steps.
Like I said at the beginning. Let's give it a day for the rest of the PMC slackers to voice their opinions :-)

Thanks a lot,
Benjamin

Benjamin Cabé ::  Open Source Manager

SIERRA WIRELESS :: AirVantage Business Unit

Main  +33 5 61 00 52 90  ::  Direct  +33 5 61 00 06 41  ::  Fax  +33 5 61 00 51 46

Lake Park  ::  Zac de l'Hers - Allée du Lac - BP 87216 :: 31672 Labège Cedex, France

BCabe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx :: www.sierrawireless.com

The project looks generally good. I did find a few major things that I'd like you to address (see below).

I am in favour of Koneki joining the release train (i.e. +1). But we'll have to move quickly. Note that the CQ submission deadline has passed, so no additional third-party libraries can be added until post-Juno.

I can't find a CQ for org.apache.xerces_2.9.0.*.jar. Do you know how that wound up in the project downloads [1]?

I think that the patch on Bug 369759 [2] needs to be flagged as iplog+ (more help here [3]).

You need to specify at least one release in the project metadata [4]; note that project plans are version specific and that you should include a link to the version-specific plan with the release information.

I'd like to see increased project diversity, but that's something that comes with time. Having the project on the release train will help in that regard. What sorts of things is the project doing to increase diversity and grow community?

The code base looks pretty mature. When do you intend to graduate?

Are members from the project participating in the cross-project mailing list?

Thanks,

Wayne
_______________________________________________ technology-pmc mailing list technology-pmc@xxxxxxxxxxx https://dev.eclipse.org/mailman/listinfo/technology-pmc

--