[technology-pmc] Gyrex 1.0 Release

Happy New Year Technology PMC,

The Gyrex project is aiming for a 1.0 release in March. Thus I'm asking
for your opinions on a necessary graduation review.

I think the hardest part in the graduation review is convincing you that
we have an active user base given that there is nearly zero feedback in
the forums/newsgroups. I understand that we aren't a traditional tooling
project that attracts a large user base. Gyrex is used mostly as the
foundation/infrastructure in larger projects. We have three commercial
adopters today using this technology. They all have support contracts
with us and mainly communicate using our support infrastructure in their
preferred language. Thus, it's mainly on us to identify Gyrex issues and
report them using Bugzilla. We also have a few Bugzillas open to give
the community an opportunity to work on additional contributions.

We did two successful releases (0.10 and 0.11) in the past six months
and had ~200 downloads not including the p2 target platform provisions.
Our website had 241 unique visitors last month (December 2011). We are
currently preparing some additional documentation and screen-casts that
we intend to publish together with our 1.0 release.

We are also facing kind of a chicken-and-egg problem marketing wise. We
got negative feedback recently from a potential commercial adopter about
our pre-1.0 status. Our code base is well post-1.0 and I did a couple of
demos to explain that. Given that we have a stable API that is in use
today I think a 1.0 release will also help in driving new adoptions and
new users to the project.

-Gunnar

--
Gunnar Wagenknecht