From: technology-pmc-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:technology-pmc-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Gunnar Wagenknecht
Sent: Tuesday, November 08, 2011 11:09 AM
To: Technology PMC
Subject: Re: [technology-pmc] [epp-dev] EPP Policy on committers and package
maintainers?

(Markus, please forward to epp-dev)

Am 08.11.2011 19:47, schrieb Markus Knauer:
> Based on the assumption that a package maintainer committer must have a
> deep knowledge about his/her package internals (i.e. the projects that
> go into a certain package) it is an absolute requirement that he/she is
> already committer on one or many of those projects.

Given this requirement, having an easy way as in Orbit for EPP makes a
lot sense to me. In general, I think we should follow our own policies
and guidelines but look aside and around. IMHO this is a good example
for being pragmatic and don't stand in a way of a project that not only
just works but also works nicely within Eclipse.

Therefore, +1 for letting EPP establishing a committer election process
similar to Orbit (given the requirement above, i.e. already an existing
Eclipse committer).

> Regarding a move to another top-level project: I cannot think of any
> other top-level project that would be a natural home for EPP and I am
> feeling very comfortable in the Technology space. :)

Frankly, I like the idea of Wayne of adjusting our charta. Eclipse needs
a place to innovate, try new ideas and also spread the Eclipse way to
existing projects moving to Eclipse. Not all projects have the resources
to create a new top-level project. Besides, creating a top-level project
just for one project seems a little bit of "over-engineering" to me.

As for Technology, I think we should look at Eclipse at large. If a
project is of such importance to the community as EPP but has not really
another top-level place to stay, we should make it possible to stay.

-Gunnar

--
Gunnar Wagenknecht
gunnar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx