Re: [technology-pmc] Asking for Approval of Jubula 1.0.0 Graduation/Release review

The record of talks and articles is very impressive, but these are also
consistent with commercial product activities. I am looking for signs that
the team has adopted the open source way. Statements like this following are
immediate red flags for me:

> jubula-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx: Actually not much used since the team prefers
face-to-face meetings.

There is no disputing the fact that face-to-face meetings are very effective
and so are direct e-mail and IM. The trouble is that they give a project
opaque appearance and make it difficult to join. Most potential contributors
will monitor your communication channels long before they announce
themselves. They need to have something to monitor. For a mature open source
project, I expect to see lots of traffic on the mailing list discussing
everyday issues with the build, asking questions about code, debating and
proposing new functionality, etc. When face-to-face team meetings are held,
the meetings should be open to others by providing a dial-in number and
posting meeting details on the mailing list and project website. Ideally, a
summary of the meeting should be provided afterwards for those interested
parties who couldn't attend due to a time conflict. Do not assume that you
only need to conduct development in this manner if you know that someone is
listening. Assume that someone is listening.

> Eclipse Forum is in the activation state. We encourage people who contact
us by email to use the Eclipse Forum.

Perhaps a stronger encouragement is necessary. I find the following strategy
to be very effective when dealing with direct e-mail regarding open source
projects... Re-post the text of the e-mail on the forum and answer it there.
Respond to the e-mail with a statement regarding the forum and a link to
your answer. Do not answer the question in the e-mail response. For chronic
offenders (I've encountered a few), at some point respond to the e-mail with
a gentle statement that it is the policy of the project to use the forum for
user support and do not answer the question at all until user reposts it on
the forum.

I am sorry, but Jubula has not yet demonstrated open source process maturity
to be ready to exit the incubation phase. I recommend another point release
for Indigo and continued effort on the above issues. If you need help, don't
hesitate to reach out to your PMC or your project's mentors.

-1 on graduation
+1 on non-1.0 release

- Konstantin