Re: [technology-pmc] ORMF project needs assistance with project BA&D and SCM in general

Great ideas, why don't you take on getting that going?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

The Common build stuff is coming along, but it's not nearly ready enough for consumption. Unfortunately, I don't have a really good feel for how long we might reasonably wait for them to be ready.

AFAIK, most Eclipse projects use an automated build based around PDE Build. I recently went through this process for the IDE4EDU SOC component (you can find the releng project in CVS[1]). I tried to smooth out some of the sharp corners in the project and inject a little more documentation. This build is designed to run on Linux; I can run it both on my own workstation and on the build server.

There is some reasonably good documentation in the online help. Look for the "PDE Build" task under the "Plug-in Development Environment Guide". You'll get most of what you need there. The example that I've provided adds Pack200, JAR signing, and update site creation support.

Unfortunately, I don't think we do have this process documented particularly well (especially the parts about Pack200, signing, and generating that update site. Chris may have some better links than I do.

Feel free to ask more questions in this list. Maybe we can massage the existing docs together...

HTH,

Wayne

[1]http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/org.eclipse.soc/ide4edu/org.eclipse.soc.ide4edu.releng/?root=Technology_Project

Joel Rosi-Schwartz wrote:
Hi,

The ORMF project is starting to consider the automated build and test process. As we are not dragging along legacy baggage we would like to get this set up right to start with. The first challenge is that we do not know where to begin. We have questions along the line of, is there an "Eclipse way?" and what infrastructure is in place to help us automate this. For instance, I have found conversations about a "Common Build Infrastructure" but this seems to be work in progress.

We have one contributor, Yahya Ozturk, who has some experience with CM and who is very eager make do something concrete to move the project forward. The problem is that he is not what one would call a "self start", so unless we can layout a specific direction he will flounder.

Can you good folks assist with providing some guidance for us.

While we are on the subject, I am wondering why there is not some concrete information on the Eclipse site to assist with getting projects up on running with a build and test infrastructure? I have some specific ideas in this regard that I believe could be helpful:

A tutorial
A sample project
A webinar on the subject
An email support list or newsgroup focused on these challenges.

Sorry, please don't tell me "Great ideas, why don't you take on getting the going?". I am already quite over committed with leading ORMF :-)

Many thanks,
Joel

P Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail. Thank you.

Joel Rosi-Schwartz                      Joel.Rosi-Schwartz@xxxxxxxxx
Etish Limited                               http://www.etish.org/
ORMF and Useme                        http://www.eclipse.org/ormf