[technology-pmc] COSMOS Project review

Technology PMC,

I've done my review of the COSMOS project. It is my assessment that the project is progressing well. While I'd like to see more community development, it does seem that the project already has a very diverse group of committers, along with some commercial adoption. As I note below, most of the commits are coming from IBM employees, but a steady flow is also being registered by SAS and CA.

The project seems to be doing the right sort of things to help newcomers familiarize themselves with the project. The website provides good help and the developers appear to be responsive in the newsgroup. I'd like to see more blogging along with more explicit outreach.

I am a little concerned about how the project is labeling their releases. Their current naming scheme does not seem to conform to the conventions that are being followed by most other projects. Though it could just be that I don't understand what they're doing.

I have captured my research along with some of my thoughts below.

Wayne

--

Some activity on the newsgroup. There are some links in the newsgroup to several articles and press releases that indicate that COSMOS is getting some adoption. All open bug reports appear to come from committers or, at least, from the project committers' colleagues. 147 downloads (as of today) of the COSMOS SDK. I'm not sure what we can derive from this as the downloads amount to a few here and there over a period of four months. I believe that it is fair to say that the community is relatively small.

The project does provide good documentation. Some parts seems more extensive than others. Similarly, some parts seem more refined than others. The point is that the project does seem to be providing the information prospective adopters require.

The committers appear to come from a diverse group of companies. Most of the commits are by IBM employees, but some recent activity has also been recorded from CA and SAS. It'd be nice to see more diversity in the actual commits.

Mailing list is quite active. Meeting minutes are posted. Development does appear to be very transparent and open.

Project plan [1] is not yet in the standard format. Plan includes a section with a "needs to be updated" section that should probably be updated.

The IP Log [2] appears complete.

I don't understand the strategy that the project is using to label releases. The current downloads are labeled "1.0.0", but releases are named "Iteration 12", "Iteration 13", and "Iteration 14". Where does the 1.0.0 come from. They mustn't have released a 1.0.0 as they are still in incubation. I believe that candidate builds should be labeled as such. Our convention is to name milestones M1, M2, ..., so I expect to see releases labeled "1.0.0M1", etc.

The downloads page [3] contains a invalid link to "build types" [4] which I expect describes the different kinds of builds. This broken link needs to be fixed. The download page doesn't format well on my system (Ubuntu 7.10 + Firefox 2).

Does the COSMOS project have a blog? I can't find it.

I get a broken link (500, could be temporary) off the home page from the link from "CA, IBM First to Demonstrate CMDB Federation, Interoperability" [5]. That needs to be fixed.

[1] http://wiki.eclipse.org/Cosmos_Release_Plan
[2] http://www.eclipse.org/projects/ip_log.php?projectid=technology.cosmos
[3] http://www.eclipse.org/cosmos/downloads/
[4] http://www.eclipse.org/cosmos/downloads/build_types.html[\