Re: [technology-pmc] RE: Please add Konstantin Komissarchik to the Technology PMC

Well... to start with, there's the secret handshake. We'll have to show you that at EclipseCon.

Honestly, we've just been winging it for the past couple of months. One of the things that we've been trying to do is to keep everything as absolutely transparent as possible. We don't--as a general rule--do phone calls at all. All conversation occurs in this list where everybody can see it. One of the reasons is that I'm terrible at taking notes. The other reason is that we're spread across too many timezones to reasonably be able to do a call. If there's value in a call, I'll entertain it, but I just don't see it right now.

I suggest that you just follow our lead for a little while, but do feel free to jump in when you're comfortable with it.

You'll get notifications about CQs every once in a while that need PMC approval. We do a cursory license check (EPL okay, GPL bad). If the code was written by the committer, we take a quick look to make sure that there are proper licenses on the *.java files (I usually just randomly check a few of them) and scan for things that look "odd" or out of place. If something strikes me as odd, I'll pose a question to the committer for clarification.

We also have to approve committer elections in the portal. This, again, is pretty straightforward. If the election has completed with at least 3 +1s, no unresolved -1s, and the rationalizations are reasonable, we approve with a pithy comment like "Welcome".

We've started a process of reviewing the projects. I had started doing them alphabetically, but Chris decided to screw up that system ;-) and jumped right to Nebula. For the review, we start with an announcement to the PMC that we're starting the review. We use the "Community Development for Eclipse Projects" [1] wiki page as a guideline (this page is still very much a work-in-progress). Several reviews have been undertaken in the last month so you should be able to find a record of them in the technology-pmc list.

The other thing that I'd like to start doing is more actively recruiting projects. I'd like to also start considering some of your ideas from the Nexus proposal and how we might integrate them into the top-level project. I'm thinking that we can do things like create a decent project proposal template to make the creation of new projects even easier. Frankly, I don't see why we can't streamline the process for creating projects so that Nexus isn't required. We will have to address the longevity issue...

Thanks,

Wayne

(We should start a new wiki page with some of this information)

[1] http://wiki.eclipse.org/Community_Development_for_Eclipse_Projects

Konstantin Komissarchik wrote:
I look forward to working with everyone on the Technology PMC. Now, what do I need to do to get "setup". I am subscribed to this mailing list already. Are there meetings, etc. that I need to be aware of?

Oracle
Konstantin Komissarchik | Consulting Member of Technical Staff
Phone: +1 425 201 1795 | Mobile: +1 206 898 0611 Oracle Eclipse Tooling 411 108th Ave NE, Suite 2100 | Bellevue, WA 98004