Re: [technology-pmc] Our role in the IP process

Wayne Beaton schrieb:
> I'm spending some quality time with CQ 2627 [1]. I think that we may
> have overstepped our bounds with this CQ.

I'm not sure. In that particular case it makes absolutely no sense
technically to rely on an outdated version on a library. Especially not
when it's a new library to be added to Orbit.

Most reasons for relying on an older version of a library are not
primarily technical reasons. They are mostly related to business
reasons, eg. no time/resource to update, or personal reasons (eg., it
works I don't care anymore).

However, I think it's important for any Open Source project to *support*
the lowest possible version of library but to always ship with the
latest. From my experience a project relying on an outdated version of a
library is less attractive to the community (eg. developers as well as
admins).

> As a general rule, the Technology PMC should not approve a CQ unless
> there is explicit agreement from the project.

+1. We should not change the CQ and approve it. It must be agreed on
with the stakeholders (i.e. submitters).

> Maybe we should start up a Technology PMC Policies wiki page...

+1

-Gunnar

--
Gunnar Wagenknecht