Re: [technology-pmc] Towards a project review checklist

Wayne,

The idea is good but the list is very, very long. Some of the items are
hard to manage even for long established projects.

For example:
>     * Articles, presentations, podcasts, webinars, etc. are being
>       developed and presented by non-committers.

I remember that there are a few articles written by non-committers for
some projects but the majority out there is written by committers or
evangelists. ;)

Anyway, having a checklist helps and also adds transparency to the
decisions. We also have a small checklist for Planet Eclipse.

What about capturing the points into a wiki page? This could be
referenced by other projects as well.

>     * Must have a clear and concise description of the project. Get help
>       to determine whether or not the description is indeed clear and
>       concise.

+1

>     * Must have a reasonable appearance. Make sure the page is rendering
>       properly in (minimally) Firefox and IE. Make sure that the page,
>       for example, isn't missing </div> tags.

The reasonable appearance is a valid request. However, I would like to
turn this into a more general "must be maintained and updated"
requirement. Nothing is worse than a stale project page.

>     * Must have a link to the project info page.
>     * Should include links to articles, blogs, newsgroups, mailing
>       lists, bug lists, and other sources of information about the project.
>     * Must provide link for help (e.g. link to a newsgroup)
>     * Should include a link to the project proposal, plan, IP log, etc.

Should we collect those into a general links section which should be
part of the main project page or the menu?

>     * Should include a short presentation that describes the project in
>       a "source" format (i.e. a PPT or ODP file) in addition to a
>       portable format such as PDF.

+1

>     * May include a list of the project committers, and mentors.

+1

>     * Should include one or more Team Project Sets or equivalent to make
>       it easy for interested parties to load the code into a local
>       workspace. For more complex configurations, considering using
>       Buckminster.

+1

> Project info page:
>
>     * Must have a clear and concise description of the project.
>     * Must contain as much information as possible about the project.
>       Fill in as much detail as possible on the portal so that an
>       interested party can find newsgroups, mailing lists, project
>       plans, IP logs, etc.

+1

>     * Should have at least one Architecture Council mentor. Projects
>       that predate this requirement should find a mentor anyway.

+1

>     * Must have a publicly documented end-game.

+1 (This sounds like a Technology project specific item.)

>     * Must provide timely responses to questions posed in the project
>       newsgroups and mailing lists.

+1

>     * Should blog regularly
>     * Should aggregate project-related blogs on Planet Eclipse and other
>       (possibly domain-specific) blog aggregators.

+1

>     * Should have code.
>     * Should be making regular code contributions.

+1

>     * Must be inclusive and responsive to community feedback. Input and
>       patches contributed by the community should be given due
>       consideration; ideas from the community should be integrated into
>       the project.

This is a tough one. The ideas and contributions need to fit the project
goals/scope. This needs to be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. Not sure
if a project will receive enough contributions before it moves out of
Technology. Or do we simply count an "enhancement" request raised in
Bugzilla from a non-committer that gets resolved FIXED (somehow) as an
"integrated" idea?

>     * Should be diverse. Projects should work to attract committers from
>       the community
>     * Must seek out and exploit forums (such as tradeshows, conferences,
>       webinars, etc.) that provide opportunities to develop community.

+1

> Any thoughts/additions/subtractions?

Let's put them into a Wiki page. :)

-Gunnar