Re: [technology-pmc] Creation Review Approval Request

On 28.08.2008, at 13:59, Wayne Beaton wrote:
I'd like to see a little more of your plan? Do you have any thoughts
about what might be done beyond Jan 2009?

Frankly, that's a little bit difficult at that moment. GEF3D is part of my Ph.D. project and I want to finish my thesis in March 2009 (this is my personal tentative plan). Kristian Duske is a student and he is planing to finish his master thesis in January 2009 (I'm his tutor). Since we both are using GEF3D in our work, we will certainly implement the issues scheduled for the 0.9 release (e.g. the 3D ecore editor is part of Kristians thesis).

There are some core features which are not implemented yet, e.g.:
- handlers for enabling rotation and 3D-movement of 3D figures
- support direct edit (e.g. by using a camera track and GEF's SWT- overlay technique or something else)

I need these features for my project, so I'm pretty sure to implement this till March 2009. With these things implemented, GEF3D will be read to be used for many cases -- this is why I would call it version 0.9 then (or 0.9.1 ;-) ) Other students are working with GEF3D, too, and there may be more features to be implemented -- but I've learned not to count on

Besides my personal situation we'll need a community to define more required features and how important these features (or bugs) are. In other words: I will be happy with GEF3D version 0.9, since I will implement everything I need for my Ph.D. thesis. Of course I have thousands of ideas what to do with GEF3D, especially in the context of MDD ans Software Visualization. But I don't want to "invent" features now for use cases which may never be realized.

Does it make any sense to, at some point, consider merging this project
with GEF?

Yes, this may make sense (at some point). If you look at the code, GEF3D (and Draw3D) are pretty small plugins. Actually I worked hard on keeping them that small, since I wanted to used as much things from GEF and Draw2D as possible. I did this because I wanted to be able to port existing 2D editors. At some point it may be interesting to merge GEF and GEF3D in order to make editors automatically 2D and 3D-able. Currently existing editors must be tweaked a little bit. But this depends on the community, especially on the GEF community. Since I'm trying to remove the LWJGL dependencies, merging may become more easily because in that case no third party library needs to be added if you don't want to actually use 3D.

Jens

Back to the top