Re: [technology-pmc] Re: [albireo-dev] Albireo Project Status

Wayne:
There is no plan to have this project be assumed by SWT at this time. That may not be the best fit for two reasons:
1. The tools and components provided by ACTF are meant for a wide variety of environments and not just for GUI frameworks within these environments. For instance, the compliance validation engine can be used to validate Java TM Swing, Eclipse SWT, and static (and soon dynamic) web content. The componentry might also be expanded to handle non-GUI artifacts such as ODF documents. Hence, we would not want to be tied down to a particular framework inside a particular runtime (e.g. SWT in a JVM). If anything, we have considered the Tools project as a more likely home for ACTF.
2. Being subsumed by SWT might give people the impression that we are strictly dealing with accessibility issues within the Eclipse framework itself. We are interested, however, in both the accessibility of the Eclipse framework and in that of content, plugins, and applications produced with the framework.

Just my two cents...other committers might have other thoughts.

--> Mike Squillace
IBM Human Ability and Accessibility Center
Accessibility Tools Framework (ACTF) co-technical lead
http://www.eclipse.org/actf

W:512.823.7423
M:512.970.0066

External: http://www.ibm.com/able
Internal: http://w3.ibm.com/able

Wayne Beaton <wayne@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: technology-pmc-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

08/26/2008 01:29 PM

Please respond to
Technology PMC <technology-pmc@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Albireo Developers list <albireo-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
"Eclipse-Technology-PMC \(E-mail\)" <technology-pmc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject
[technology-pmc] Re: [albireo-dev] Albireo Project Status

As a naive outsider looking in, it seems to me that the natural path for
this project is for it to get assumed by the SWT project. Is this
off-base? Is there any plan to take it in that direction? Timeframe?

Wayne