RE: [technology-pmc] ACTF Community Development: Status & Response to Wayne Beaton

As a suggestion on this particular topic, it seems to me that one possible area of potential adoption are the other open source communities that have a need to create accessible user interfaces. Places like Linux and Mozilla immediately come to mind.

Could I help with some introductions into those communities?

On a somewhat related note, we at the Eclipse Foundation quite regularly get asked if the Eclipse IDE itself is certified as accessible. Regrettably, our answer at this time is “we think so, but it is not certified as such”. Is there any opportunity to use ACTF’s tools to certify Eclipse itself? Even better, could this be done in a way that leverages the participation of the community to expose more people to those tools?

Question: How do you reach out to people? Are there forums that you can participate in, conferences that you should attend to meet these people?

Until now, we have used conferences and email listservs as ways of reaching out. However, to be perfectly honest, we have not been proactive. So we sincerely appreciate your prodding.

Last week the project committers met and determined that there were a few key conferences that we should be participating in including ASSETS, CSUN and possibly RESNA. We are conducting a 1-day workshop at ASSETS in October. We recently attended the Eclipse conference. However, only a few people attended the session put on by Kentarou and Mike Squillace. We are continue to look at other conferences and forums and welcome your suggestions.

Back to the top