[technology-pmc] discussion - automatic error report in Subversive

Greetings,

I’m writing on behalf of Subversive project team and want to discuss one aspect of our project. The matter concerns our e-mail error reporting feature. One the one hand, this feature is really important for us and helps us to improve project stability. From another hand, this feature can potentially violate some Eclipse guidelines. Therefore I want to hear opinions regarding this feature and let’s think if it’s allowed to have this feature or probably, how to make this functionality available for all infrastructure, i.e. make global service for error reporting.

The idea behind error reporting feature is simple – in case of errors people in most cases don’t spend their time to find information how to report a bug, describe failure case, etc. It means that developers loose a lot of feedback from community. The only way to improve this – make the process simple. In case of error we have stack trace, which can be helpful in most cases. So if we detect that exception have relation to Subversive then we ask user to enter comments and create error report, which includes these comments, stack trace and environment information. If user want, then this error can be sent automatically by e-mail to our mail server (when project hosted on Polarion.org, we used its mail server). We use this error reporting during 1.5 years and it’s really invaluable feature, which helped to improve project, so we want to leave this feature. But now project is official Eclipse Technology project, so I would like to evaluate following aspects:

1.      Does this feature violate some policies or guidelines?

2.      From my point of view this feature is really helpful for any project, so does it make sense to have it as standard service?

3.      Now e-mails are sent to special mailing list on Polarion.org dedicated for error reports. Should we change this to eclipse mailing list? Usually we get near 10 error reports per day (estimated amount of users is 25.000), and anyone can send e-mails to that list without subscription, so there are a lot of spam. If we will change mail list to some from eclipse.org, then all e-mails, including spam will be archived, which is wrong from my point of view.

4.      In addition to error reporting we contributed our menu items “Send Tip for Improvement” and “Send Error Report” to the root Help menu. Are there any policy/guidelines violation?

What do you think? Your thoughts are welcome.

Best regards,

Igor Vinnykov

Subversive Project

Back to the top