[technology-pmc] Re: Nebula project - new contribution and committer

(Replying again as my original email did not make it to the mailing list)

Hi Bjorn,

Yes we do mention this on the website:
http://www.eclipse.org/nebula/contrib_process.php

Our goal is for Nebula to act primarily as an incubator.  Contributors will offer up their widgets, then we work with them to make their widgets compatible with the SWT standards.  The end goal is that widgets will graduate into SWT and from then on the SWT will maintain those widgets (with our without the help of the original contributor).

Our goal is to be very open and allow most contributions into Nebula very easily.  Essentially we will do the training and mentoring during the Nebula cycle.

Regards,
-Chris

Bjorn Freeman-Benson <bjorn.freeman-benson@xxxxxxxxxxx>

07/06/2006 07:08 PM

Christopher J Gross/Arlington/IBM@IBMUS
cc
sharon.corbett@xxxxxxxxxxx, Technology PMC <technology-pmc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject
Re: Nebula project - new contribution and committer

Chris,
Approved. But...

Do you have a written policy of this on your website somewhere? It's not quite standard because it doesn't have the training/mentoring period usual to ensure quality. I understand the logic and so we'll go ahead, but I'd like to have a written policy on this.

Also, one goal of all projects should be to increase committer diversity and thus having "one component maintained by one (the original) committer" is not a good long term strategy.

Regards,
Bjorn

P.S. You still need to fill out the online form:

http://www.eclipse.org/legal/newcommitter.php

Christopher J Gross wrote:

Hi Bjorn,

We have voted on a new committer and contribution to Nebula:

http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/nebula-dev/msg00039.html

Within Nebula, when contributions are accepted, the contributor also comes on board as a committer to update and maintain their contribution.  Can you please give approval for Jeremy?

Regards,

-Chris Gross

Nebula Project Lead

Back to the top