Re: [tcf-dev] TCF debugger

Hello Naama,

0.       Please use the tcf-dev mailing list for TCF questions:

1.       Yes, attaching a process is possible – here is the workflow using “plain TCF Debug” without Target Explorer:

a.       Run > Debug Configurations… : Create a new config of type “C/C++ Attach to Application”

b.      On the bottom, click “Select other…” and choose the “Configuration Specific: TCF Attach to Process Launcher”, click Debug

c.       A dialog pops up that allows choosing the peer, and the process.

                                                               i.      For remote peers not on the local network, you might need to define the peer first in the normal “TCF” Launch Configuration (Add, manual, enter IP Address).

d.      In the “Attach” Launch, you can enter path mappings if necessary. The TCF Launcher can also be selected as default, in Preferences > Run/Debug > Launching > Preferred Launchers.

2.       TCF can debug the Linux Kernel, but only through a hardware debug adapter (JTAG Probe or similar, with associated software talking TCF). Software-based Kernel Debugging using kgdboc is not currently possible. Writing an “Adapter Agent” that talks TCF on one end, and and gdbremote/kgdboc on the other end is technically possible, but I’m not aware of such a solution in Open Source today.

Thanks,

Martin

--

Martin Oberhuber, SMTS / Product Owner – Development Tools, Wind River

direct +43.662.457915.85  fax +43.662.457915.6