[tcf-dev] Proposal to release TCF-1.3 now, TCF-1.4 with Mars in June

Hi TCF Committers,

There are two breaking changes upcoming with Eclipse Mars, which affect TCF:

1.       Org.eclipse.remote 2.0 is going to be incompatible with the 1.1 version in Luna SR2.
TCF Target Explorer contributes an org.eclipse.remote implementation of TCF file transfer, so the TCF Mars version of this will only work on Mars.
Workaround (using TCF-Mars on older Eclipse) would be not installing the org.eclipse.remote file transfer.

2.       Terminal restructuring: We are re-uniting the TCF Terminals View with the original TM Terminal.
So Target Explorer Mars will depend on respective APIs in TM Mars.
Workaround )using TCF-Mars on older Eclipse) would be updating the TM-Terminals component to its 4.0 Mars version.

Although there are workarounds available, I feel that “mixing release trains” may be problematic for adopters.

Since the TCF-1.2 Luna release, CDT and Linuxtools have shipped significant updates with Luna SR2, so it would be good having an official TCF release working on Luna SR2 too.

I thus propose releasing TCF-1.3 now, while it is still fully compatible with Luna SR2 and older Eclipse Platforms.

The proposal is branching off an 1.3 branch from our Mars M6 contribution for bug fixes, then upreving master to 1.4 (both agent and Debug/Target Explorer).

We would also update the website, downloads page, new & noteworthy.

Please let me know any thoughts, questions, comments until end of the week.

Thanks,

Martin

--

Martin Oberhuber, SMTS / Product Owner – Development Tools, Wind River

direct +43.662.457915.85  fax +43.662.457915.6

Back to the top