[tcf-dev] Serial Terminal

Hey gang,

I brought this up a while ago. But I’m looking at the Serial Terminal again and am wondering how to proceed. The current TM serial uses rxtx. As discussed before, rxtx is a dead project. The website is down and our last communication from the owner indicated he wasn’t in a hurry to bring it back. Also, there hasn’t been a release since 2007 and I’m not sure that release will support the latest Mac and Windows. And the rxtx up on Maven central doesn’t have the JNI libraries anyway. The weird thing, though is that there is an rxtx repo up on github but I can’t see who the members are other than to see commits from various people in the last few years including our own Martin Oberhuber.

For the Arduino IDE work, I did a new serial terminal using the jSSC library. I found it pretty nice to work with and supported all the latest platforms. It’s last release was back in March. Now there doesn’t appear to be any activity on it since then so I’m not sure if it’s alive either. But at least it’s has a much more recent release. You can see my Arduino terminal here:

BTW, a good summary of the state of Java serial is here: https://blogs.oracle.com/jtc/entry/java_serial_communications_revisited. There’s an interesting mention of JRE support for serial but I don’t see that happening any time soon.

In the end, I’d like to propose we move the serial terminal over to jSSC so we can actually allow the community to use it. Unless, of course, the people who have been maintaining rxtx do an official release of it.

Thoughts?
Doug.

Back to the top