[tcf-dev] Target Explorer Categories

I've started looking at how we can use the Target Explorer with the various remote system types I am trying to deal with. On the open source side, I'd like to see how we can make it easy to use Eclipse for the "open hardware" platforms, Arduino, Raspberry Pi, and such, while being pure CDT using cross toolchain build and debug support through the new launchbar along with the new terminal for serial and ssh connections.

When I fired up the Target Explorer for the first time, I was surprised to see what I now know are categories. In general, most developers I know really only work with one or two targets at a time. With that low of a number, I'm not sure why we would have categories at all (in fact, by default, there are more categories (3) than devices I want to attach at a time (1) ). My UX senses tell me that we have a problem there.

I was wondering if there was interest in simplifying that. Only show the categories when the number of targets grows to a number where the categories would be more helpful and leave the explorer more clean for a lower number of targets.

Thoughts? and Thanks!
Doug.

Back to the top