[tcf-dev] Debugging tips for symbols

Hi,

Can someone share some debugging techniques when dealing with symbols ?
What are the important fields ?
From a symbol object, how to understand it and know where it points in the elf / dwarf sections ?

I'm trying to implement undef support for vxWorks and I'm facing the following issue:
I'm processing the vxWorks file and try to add an elf_symbol:

add_elf_to_find_symbol_buf(ELF_SymbolInfo * elf_sym)
The elf_sym->value points to my fully linked vxWorks file.
nm vxWorks | grep taskIdCurrent gives me
0x602d7884.

The elf_sym->value is also 0x602d7884. So far, so good.

As far as I understand, it seems the only symbol to be added in the symbol_buff.
But then my debugger display 0x0602ad820 instead of 0x602d7884.

The routine elf_tcf_symbol "converts" an elf_symbol into a TCF Symbol.

Then from this TCF Symbol, the address is computed again on a GetContext and probably something goes wrong.

If you can share your debugging techniques, things to pay attention to and even better a
big picture of how symbol management works, that would help me a lot !

Many Thanks !
Best Regards,
Xavier.

Back to the top