[tcf-dev] Preparing for Kepler Endgame

Hi TCF Committers,

Eclipse Platform is planned to deliver its first release candidate for Kepler today (RC1), and with that the “endgame” towards Kepler officially starts. Some other important dates:

May 24/2013 - Deadline to submit IP Logs for Kepler releases
June 5/2013 - PMC-approved Review materials submitted to EMO
June 12/2013 - Kepler Uber Release review
June 26/2013 - Kepler release

As you see there’s quite some time between submitting release review materials and the actual release. I don’t want TCF development to be “frozen” during that time so we should consider creating a branch for Kepler maintenance very soon.

But before there’s a little bit of work to be done towards the release – I’d appreciate any help from you guys:

1.       Features: Ensure that everything is stable and solid, and any pending “half done” work is finished. Please let us know here on the mailing list of any problems with “finishing up” by end of next week latest; we’d have to branch off if there are any issues.

a.       Documentation: Finish / review Javadocs of any new Services or API’s.

b.      Brush up the docs of any new concepts (as visible on the Web or the Wiki).

c.       Any inbound contributions that require an IP-Log entry / CQ review must be done and finished by end next week.

2.       Cleanup – START NOW please:

a.        Ensure that the “Copyright Years” of any visible branding items, features, or file comments have “2013” when the file (or a file of the feature) was modified in 2013.

b.      Ensure that Strings are externalized, obsolete strings are removed from Properties, Imports are cleaned up, version ranges are checked. JDT offers some wizards for these kinds of cleanup.

c.       Key conflicts and other errors logged: Test TCF in some wider context – I’d recommend the “Eclipse for Automotive” package as testbed since that includes both CDT and JDT (which we may see with several larger accounts). Look for errorlog entries and clean up what’s possible to cleanup.

3.       IP Review:

a.       Please check the IP Log for completeness – Contributors check whether your contributions are mentioned; let me know of anything obsolete that should be removed.
http://www.eclipse.org/projects/ip_log.php?projectid=tools.cdt.tcf

This kind of work is important for “being a good citizen” in the Eclipse Ecosystem, and the yearly release train is a good chance to do this kind of cleanup once in a year. Kepler is also a chance for us to do some press / marketing work, so we should work good in the bigger environment.

It’s important that we start this kind of cleanup work now.

I’ll ping you again as I start working on “New and Noteworthy” and other material for the Release Review.

Let me know if there’s any questions.

Thanks,

Martin

--

Martin Oberhuber, SMTS / Product Architect – Development Tools, Wind River

direct +43.662.457915.85  fax +43.662.457915.6

Back to the top