[tcf-dev] tcf-1.0.1

Hi all,

me and my company is very interested in the TCF project. For our targets, based upon a self-developed 16bit processors

with custom debug interface and probe, we was looking for a suited protocol to communicate with them during debugging,

for flashing and configuration. Since GDB was not flexible enough for our needs we was glad to see TCF being developed.

Especially the extensible service model is a great benefit for us since we plan to use the protocol for any kind of communication

with the target.

In a first attempt we had ported the Java Agent to C++. This agent was working fine with the old TCF Client on Indigo, but as we

tried to update to Juno and TCF 1.0.1 we didn’t got the client speaking to our agent anymore.  The output stops immediately

after the “Hello” command was exchanged and the client remains silent: http://i45.tinypic.com/iw7qex.png.

Maybe somebody here knows what changes was made that can cause such a behavior?

We are very glad with the definition of the protocol so far. A bit confusing is the combination of different protocols for the

transport of messages. We wonder why JSON was only used to transport the command arguments and results instead

for the entire message, abandoning the use of a special data stream based upon transmission control characters?

We see the protocol is very lightweight this way, but since almost any service depends on JSON we can’t see such a great

benefit there. Instead, e. g. accessing an agent through a WebSocket from a Browser running _javascript_ would need some

additional translation.

Best regards,

Michael

Dipl.-Inform. Michael Rentschler

Embedded S/W Engineer

SMSC Europe GmbH

www.smsc.com

SMSC Europe GmbH

Firmensitz: Bannwaldallee 48, D-76185 Karlsruhe

Registergericht: Amtsgericht Mannheim HRB 111275

Geschäftsführer: Heiko Brehm, Kris Sennesael, Dr. Christian Thiel

Diese E-Mail kann vertrauliche Informationen enthalten. Sie darf

Nicht durch andere als die ursprünglich genannten Adressaten

genutzt, kopiert oder weitergeleitet werden.

This e-mail may contain confidential information and should not be

used, copied or disclosed by anyone who is not the original intended

recipient.

Back to the top