Re: [swtbot-dev] Window focus matters?

On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 4:27 AM, Daniel Lucraft <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I've got this code (in JRuby):
>   Swt.bot.shell("Redcar").bot.menu("File")
> and this works when the test window is focussed, but fails to find the
> widget if it is not focussed. Is there a way to make this work with the
> window in the background?
> (It'd be nice to be able to run tests in the background, since they take
> quite a long time).
> Strangely, this part Swt.bot.shell("Redcar") does return an object and then
> .bot does return a bot, so its *seems* to be finding the Shell ok. Just then
> not the menu.
> I'm on OSX Lion if it matters

It is possible to find and perform some actions on widgets in windows
in the background using the api you mention. Unfortunately windowfocus
matters quite a bit with SWT. Menu bars, typing text, auto completes
are things that'll not work as expected with backgrounded windows.

When I had the same problem I usually switch to a different user to
run the tests and switch back to continue work(or startup a 512MB
ubuntu VM). That seemed to do the trick on snow-leopard. Haven't tried
this on Lion.

Would love to hear if it works for you.

-- Ketan
studios.thoughtworks.com | twitter.com/ketanpkr

Back to the top