Re: [swtbot-dev] Drop SWTBot support for eclipse 3.4 ?

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 12:36 AM, Ketan Padegaonkar
<ketanpadegaonkar@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> SWTBot for eclipse 3.4: 158 (14%)
> SWTBot for eclipse 3.5: 798 (70%)
> SWTBot for eclipse 3.6: 187 (16%)
>
> Eclipse 3.4 is now almost 2 years old and the last bug fix release was in
> Feb 2009.

This decision is up to each project at Eclipse.org but I know of some
people who support up to one previous release of Eclipse, up to two
and only the current. The Eclipse PMC came up with a deprecation
policy for the platform...
     http://wiki.eclipse.org/Eclipse/API_Central/Deprecation_Policy

While this may not be applicable to us, lessons around how to
communicate things are relevant. In my personal opinion, I see that
~86% of the users are using the current version of SWTBot to test 3.6
or 3.5 so what I would do is say that we only support up to one
release back given the size of the team. If someone in the community
really cares about an older release, maybe they can step up and
maintain it. That's the way open source should work :)

--
Cheers,

Chris Aniszczyk
http://aniszczyk.org