Re: [stp-pmc] Provisioning of the new SOA Top Level Project

Am 01.12.2009 um 16:38 schrieb Oisin Hurley:

>> seems that I have the honor to take care about the provisioning of
>> our new
>> SOA top level project.
>
> Congratulations, Zsolt!  :)
>
>> SOA Platform Project
>> * Names of PMC Members and Leader
>> - Alain Boulze
>> - Stephane Drapeau
>> - Antoine Toulme
>> - Zsolt Beothy-Elo
>> Is anybody willing to take over the lead?
>
> I think I have spoken to all about this before, but I
> don't think I've every put anything down in an email
> to this group.
>
> I reckon that the best person to have as the lead
> is the individual representing the organization with
> "the most skin in the game" - that is, the responsibility
> of leadership should be on the shoulders of those who
> stand to lose the most. The logic is that this level of
> responsibility implies the most responsible leadership.
>
>> From where I am sitting now, I believe that Sopera
> is in this position and should provide the leadership.

I will take over the pmc-lead even if I am fairly to new to all these
Eclipse process and governance things. I hope the other far more
experienced members will support me from time to time.

> Note that leadership at this point is very much a
> piece of housekeeping work in getting the project
> up and running and ticking over, so more of a
> project management role rather than an evangelist
> role (IMHO).
>
> It's also okay for someone to take on the role for
> a period of time, and then have it pass on later.
>
> I think that co-leadership is an inefficient option,
> not just for this group, but always.

I do not agree. I think that co-leads can work. Swordfish and the RT
TLP are examples for this.

>> * Architecture Council representatives
>> - Oliver Wolf
>> - anybody else?
>
> The project gets to have one representative on
> the Architecture Council (as a top-level). Other
> individuals may be nominated and elected to
> the AC.
>
> Note that Antoine Toulmé is currently the backup
> delegate for the AC meetings.

So Antoine are you willing to be the AC delegate for the SOA project?

> http://wiki.eclipse.org/Architecture_Council/Membership
>
> The planning council is a bit different in that there
> is one representative on that council from each toplevel
> PMC, one from each strategic developer and some
> that are appointed by Eclipse foundation see
>
> http://wiki.eclipse.org/Planning_Council
>
>> * Names and descriptions for top-level-specific mailing lists and
>> forums
>>  Mailing Lists
>> - soa-pmc: Mailing list for SOA Platform Project  PMC
>
> This list could do with a pruning - there are many on this
> list who have not participated in conversations.

AFAIK a new mailing list will be created so no need to prune :-)

>> - soa-dev: General discussion of SOA Platform project-wide or
>> architectural
>> issues.
>> - soa-user: SOA Platform  communications and announcement (including
>> coordination, and Group discussions)(web)
>>  Newsgroups
>> - eclipse.soa: For general discussions related to SOA technologies at
>> Eclipse.
>> * Names Top-level "website" committers
>> - Zsolt Beothy-Elo
>> - Here we need at least one additional name
>
> The project leads are all committers on the www/stp site,
> perhaps just transfer them?

That makes sense. I just had a look into the STP sub projects and only
found Antoine as project lead for BPMN modeler and  Stephane for SCA
Tools. Anyone else I missed?

>> * Desired project URL
>> http://www.eclipse.org/soa
>
> Perhaps the /stp URL should start redirecting to there
> too.
>
> BTW - I haven't forgotten about build actions that are required
> from my, especially the passing on of existing knowledge :)

Someone "with the most skin in the game"  should volunteer to take
over the build / release manager role from Oisin.