Re: [stp-pmc] Fwd: [stp-dev] writing an introspector...

There are several things to keep in mind.  First, you may need to process the annotations within the source files outside of a build in order to get any content assist support within the file.  Second, we would need to know how Tuscany code processes the annotations.  If it generates files then these need to be integrated seamlessly into the IDE which is difficult when  the executing code knows nothing about the Eclipse workspace.  If the processing logic tries to update in-memory models we are positive that this will not work since the model instances are completely different.  They only share the schemas.

See my other post about the spec changes.

I would also like to know which components within STP are blocked by the models not being up to date.  Which components are currently using the models?  I haven't seen any documentation that indicates how the other components plan to consume this model.  The models will not be updated just because the specification changes.  The spec is constantly changing.

Regards,
Dan

Oisin Hurley <ohurley@xxxxxxxx>
Sent by: stp-pmc-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

08/21/2006 12:39 PM

Please respond to
STP PMC list <stp-pmc@xxxxxxxxxxx>

STP PMC list <stp-pmc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
Re: [stp-pmc] Fwd: [stp-dev] writing an introspector...

> Keep in mind that the Tuscany Java support deals with binary files
> whereas the STP support needs to deal with source code.  These are
> two completely different environments and I would be surprised if
> you could reuse anything from Tuscany other than the definition of
> the annotation tags.

I would think we'd certainly use the annotations jar - but wouldn't the
binary data be available to STP too, provided the source project has a
Java builder? If this available then we could take some of that code
and repurpose it, or if we can't use it in it's entirety we could use
it as a starting point? The model-population part will need to change
of course to fit in with our current core code.

On a slight different note, I think we should look seriously at getting
our Core up to date wrt to the 0.95 changes - or at least have a roadmap
for it. With the extra publicity surrounding www.osoa.org and the
increase
in people interested in SCA tools, it's a question we will be asked
quite
often I would guess. One for the FAQ. What do you think Dan?

 cheers
  --oh