[stp-dev] Après Galileo

Galileo's not done yet, but just in case anyone decides
to relax early, there's a few things I've been noting down
for discussion then. I'm going to mention them now so
that we can think about them, and also to save me
from forgetting.

* Versioning
There's a kindof convention that once you put in an
enhancement, then you go from version x.y.z to
x.y+1.0. If you are just bugfixing, you go from x.y.z
to x.y.z+1

I think we've partially adopted this approach, but I'm
thinking maybe we should Write It Down as a thing
that all projects should do.

* Branding
I did this for SOA Tools as a whole, see

http://dev.eclipse.org/svnroot/stp/org.eclipse.stp.build/build/trunk/stp/org.eclipse.stp.branding/
http://dev.eclipse.org/svnroot/stp/org.eclipse.stp.build/build/trunk/stp/org.eclipse.stp.branding.feature/

and I think it would be cool to have the about box
sorted for all of the subprojects, since there is a
chance that you will all be installed separately.

I can help with this, if you don't want to do it.

* Build
Well everyone except BPMN has an individual
build in place (sorry Antoine!) that successfully
creates a (possibly signed) p2 site. What I would
like to do for a roll-up build is NOT to build all
from source, but instead pull from subproject
update sites. That means we're just pulling in
the *blessed* stuff.  Of course there is a much
bigger question of whether or not we *need* a
full build in the first place. I kindof oscillate on
this topic a bit.

* Download pages
We need decent download pages that will prettily
present our wares. I'm looking for help here!

* Project plans
What are you doing for next year? What are you
doing with respect to e4?  "I'm just going to fix
bugs" is a valid project plan, but let's just have
them clear as crystal this time around.

* IP Log
This thing is *easy* to manage, provided everyone
marks the *attachments* that are contributed. Then
the automated log keeps track of everything. It's
like cooking - if you clean as you go, then it isn't
a big pile of brain damage once you are finished.
Also - make sure to zap committers that have
disappeared. It's all about keeping the data up to
date.

* Translations
Let's make it easy for others to translate our
stuff!  BPMN has led the way on Babel and
translations and well done. Let's learn about this
and have a clear place where people can go to
do translations - yes, it exists already, but let's
put links on the landing pages.

Ok, that's my notes typed in :)  Perhaps we
could discuss these items separately over the
next week or two to expose some of the issues.

 cheers
    --oh

Back to the top