Re: [stp-dev] Galileo RC heartbeat

Hi Oisin.

Oisin Hurley a écrit :
Ok, some other Galileo items that are on the list. Here are
three items picked from the http://wiki.eclipse.org/Galileo
page:

1. "Each major project (as determined by participating PMCs) should
have an About dialog icon with descriptive text (e.g. provider name
= "Eclipse Modeling Project" and not simply Eclipse.org) and contribute
to the welcome page."

This is a 'should have' - but I'm interested to hear what you
guys think about having this icon in place, and contributing
to the welcome page.
I think both would be nice.
About the welcome page, it is quite simple if we want to contribute in an existing category. The question is more about where we want to contribute and what to do when the user selects our "category".

The categories are overview, tutorials, first steps, samples, what's new, and there are some others... The undertaken action on a click generally consists in launching the help system and display a given page. Launch a cheatsheet or a wizard does not appear to be a useful idea in this context.

What does the foundation advice about it?
The easiest solution is to create a help page introducing STP and its sub-projects / components. We could then shows this page when the user selects the STP category on the welcome page. Or we could display all the sub-projects / components on the welcome page. But if every project adopts the same idea, the welcome page will have a huge scroll bar.

4. "Projects should leverage only published APIs of dependencies. As a
Release Review requirement, all deviations must be documented.
Additionally, rectification for the issues should be listed as part of a
migration plan, with bugs listed where APIs need to be provided by
dependent projects"

So - it looks like we have to document our deviations :)  I see where
the PC is coming from with this one, and my approach here would be
to do something along the lines of finding all of the imports of
internal packages in your code and just writing them down. The
migration plan piece is a 'should do'. There may be some kind of
magical PDE tooling that can do this, but I'm not aware of it at
the moment.
For recent developments, the developpers should be aware of these discouraged imports. Personnaly, I can already list the ones in the SCA XML editor (which depends on the WTP XML editor). Is it something we have to manage at the top-level (STP) or with the sub-project / component leader ?

               Vincent Zurczak.

--
Vincent Zurczak
EBM WebSourcing