RE: [stp-dev] STP project on Google Summer of Code 2009

Hi Udayanga,

Unfortunatelly it was to late yesterday to put comments and vote on Google Summer of Code.

Anyway, I have reviewed your proposal - it looks really promising!
Architecture and design are also in very high quality.

I have just some notes/questions regarding proposal and design:

  1. Deriving WS:Policy assertions from various XML types for different sources.

WS-Policy instance(s) will be extracted and saved in configured destination. Consequentially user will like to validate and edit saved policy instance with Policy Editor. What happens if policy has non-standard assertions (not WS-compliant) and Policy Editor has not appropriate XML-schema in catalog?  Will framework provide only simple text based editor; warn user; ask for appropriate schema; try to generate schema using reverse engineering approach?

  1. Handler chain concept.

I do not completely understand how handler chain process meta information regarding relationships between different assertionsit seems that every handler “know” only about own assertion and extract it. But in this case, how the whole policy instance structure with alternatives will be composed? How the Policy model will be built and serialized?

  1. Stax parser.

What is the advantage to use Axiom as XML parser in the project?

  1. Policy Builder GUI.

I think it makes sense to adapt described way (JSP-Servlet-Web Service-Policy Bilder) to Eclipse standard. Pragmatic approach is using functionality of Eclipse import/export wizards for that. For async and event based scenarious (like extracting policy from SOAP message) Eclipse WTP monitor can be evaluated.

  1. Abstraction of different sources/destinations.

I am missing in design kind of abstract interface for all sources and destinations. It makes sense to provide easily extensible framework potentially supporting a new implementations for sources/destinations(FileSystem, DB, Queue, etc) and formats (even not XML).

Regards,
Andrei.